Wednesday 2 July 2014

Book Review: Falling Kingdoms by Morgan Rhodes (Falling Kingdoms, #1)

Title: Falling Kingdoms
Author: Morgan Rhodes
Series: Falling Kingdoms (#1)
Published: 11th December 2012
Publisher: Razorbill
Source: Library
Rating: 4/5 Stars
Goodreads

In the three kingdoms of Mytica, magic has long been forgotten. And while hard-won peace has reigned for centuries, a deadly unrest now simmers below the surface.

As the rulers of each kingdom grapple for power, the lives of their subjects are brutally transformed... and four key players, royals and rebels alike, find their fates forever intertwined. Cleo, Jonas, Lucia, and Magnus are caught in a dizzying world of treacherous betrayals, shocking murders, secret alliances, and even unforeseen love.

The only outcome that's certain is that kingdoms will fall. Who will emerge triumphant when all they know has collapsed?

It's the eve of war.... Choose your side.


I read this during the last week of term/semester so while the rest of the class were watching movies, I was sitting in the back of the room reading this novel. Morgan Rhodes - you made my week bearable, well done. This book has flaws, without a doubt, but once I got past them, I really enjoyed it. 

We follow four main narratives; a princess, a sorceress, a rebel and an heir. It was really fun to see that not all of them were on the "good" side. While I did find narratives more annoying than others, I did enjoy them all and sympathise for them in their sticky situations. 
“Even paradise could become a prison if one had enough time to take notice of the walls.” 
I think I would say that the heir - Magnus - is my favourite character. He is just so complex and different and cold, it's really refreshing. I felt like I related to him the most and I really liked how he dealt with situations - even if they weren't the best solutions. Magnus goes through so much and all he really needs is a hug and a little lie down. 

I'll be honest in saying that Princess Cleo annoyed me quite a bit, she's a bit like Clary Fray! She was one of those characters that drove head first into danger and expected anyone to save her. She did have a good heart and isn't that what matters?  I did eventually warm up to her by the end - thank goodness.

The plot was quite interesting. I don't read a lot of books with magic like this book. Ms Rhodes explains the world very well and, using her fantastic skills, will make you fully invested in the world and its plot.
The plot was so expertly executed bringing 4 characters from 3 different kingdoms together. It was so fascinating to see how they clashed together and what came of it afterwards. 

The author did not hesitate to do anything in this book, its almost shocking how much she didn't. She had the power, and she used it and oh my it was fantastic.

Yes it is action packed but I really felt as though this book is just a set up for what's to come in the next few books. I did really enjoy it though and will definitely continue on with the series. Recommended to fans of Game of Thrones. 

Hagar Manssour

No comments:

Post a Comment